Monday, December 3, 2012

DIY Gifts

It's that time of year! Actually, for me, it's gift giving time all year! I love making gifts for family, friends and students. These are examples of gifts or "extras" that make a gift special.
Scented Key chain

It's SEW easy to make these key chains. I have made them with lavender, but for this season I've stuffed them with crushed cinnamon scented pine cones.
Pine cones (Purchase at any craft store, one bag fills tons of key chains. I chose not to make the pine cones myself due to lack of time)
Scrap 2 inch wide, 8 inch long ribbon
Eyelet
Key ring
Tool needed- Crop-a-dile or an eyelet setter.


Fold ribbon in half and sew all the way down the sides. I prefer grosgrain ribbon because it doesn't slip in the machine. Stuff with lavender or other scented stuffing, sew closed about 1/2 inch from the top. Punch hole , set eyelet, add key ring. I added an ice skate charm to this because it is for one of my skating students.
They look really cute on packages and give it thet extra special something.


Skating Students' Gifts
Iv'e been teaching figure skating for a very long time. Every spring and winter I give a little something to all of my girls(ages 9-14) for working so hard. because I have to give to so many girls, it could get expensive so I have become very creative. This year I am giving a "mini-spa treat" which includes a little bottle of lavender oil, a lavender filled sachet and a battery powered tea light. The sheer sachet bags, the gift box/bags, and the tea lights are all from The Dollar Tree.  The white boxes are found in the wedding section. I used Heidi Swapp's AWESOME "Color Magic Spray" in mint green and chartreuse to add a little sparkle and shine to the boxes and the ribbon. (This is the first time I have used Color Magic and I think I'm addicted. I ordered a starter kit from "My Craft Channel" and I can't wait to play with it more!)
I used some silver washi-type tape with inspiring words around the candles. I hope the girls will enjoy them.




These photos look a little funny because the acrylic reflects back, and the paper is ModPodged to the back. They awill be a gift that was inspired by both a Theresa Collins and a Lori Allred (Inspired by Pinterest) demo on "My Craft Channel". If you haven't checked out that daily web-show yet, you are really missing out!  I found a huge box of these acrylic 7"x 9"clip-boards at a local rummage sale for a few bucks. You can purchase then at office supply stores, I just got lucky. I used ModPodge to glue double sided paper to the back side of the board. Then addded assorted ribbon and bling on-hand. I'm lucky to have a crafty husband who made stands for them so that they can be used as a display for a picture calendar, or notes. I used hot glue to attach the ribbon and bling.
 We are going to give them with a 2013 calendar (free printable on-line at calendarlab) and a photo greeting.

For these I used  Graphic45 "Bird Song" papers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment