Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Glass Paint on Recycled Jelly Jar

Wow! I've been a social media butterfly since I posted last, and it's been a blast! So far, I really enjoy being a My Craft Channel Superfan! I have virtually/digitally connected with 14  wonderful, funny and creative ladies in the group. I'm pinning and posting and tweeting my passion for creative thinking and crafts, and receiving so much inspiration in return.
While internet surfing (a great thing to do in Chicago when it's only 6 degrees outside) I saw a beautiful post on the Plaid Crafts web site and wanted to try it for myself. This is the first attempt using . Gallery Glass Window by Plaid (The makers of Mod Podge).
I was holding on to a couple of really cute jelly jars, and now I know how I want to up-cycle them.
Best thing is this takes about 10 minutes, and dries over night.

1) Plaid's Gallery Glass Paint In Blue Diamond $3.49 ( They have a Martha Stewart version out now, I will try that next)
2) Rinsed out jelly jar
3) Crepe paper trim and blue bird of happiness purchased at Michael's  90% off after Christmas sale (85 cents), fabric flower on hand and hot glue to stick it all onto the lid.
4) Paint Brush

Step One- squeeze paint onto jar in pattern desired. The paint is about the consistency of white school glue and will drip very slowly.
Please check out the blog Something Turquoise  where I was inspired, for directions on covering entire jar.


I wasn't sure how transparent it would dry, and I wanted a little texture, so I thinned it out with a paint brush.
I won't thin it out next time because when dry, it is very sheer and I really like the color.
















I did not "cure" the paint in the oven, because I'm not using this for food, and won't be putting in the dishwasher.
The color is just lovely, and even better when on a window ledge in the sun. It's stuffed with tissue for the photo, but I think I'll keep tiny buttons in this sweet little blue jar.



No comments:

Post a Comment